There are many steps you can take to reduce the chances of becoming a victim of crime. We’ve divided our advice into different sections details with the many ways you can stay safe.
The keys to keeping yourself safe in public:
- Plan ahead. Don’t use unfamiliar routes or unknown transport.
- Stay visible. Don’t enter dark or secluded areas alone.
- Keep your valuables out of sight.
Whether you are a homeowner or rent, there are things you can do to make your home more secure.
- Keep doors locked
- Keep valuables out of sight
- Consider a burglar alarm or CCTV
Adding invisible markings to high price valuables not only makes it more likely that they will be returned, but also makes it easier for the police to prosecute criminals.
Smart water is the leading way of marking your valuables.
Theft from vehicles and theft of vehicles is among the most common crimes within Sutton.
- Always lock your vehicle when parked
- Don’t leave valuables visible in the vehicle
- Purchase and use a wheel lock when parked for extra security
Data security and identity theft are increasing areas of concern as more economic and social activity goes on-line.
- Protect your passwords
- Keep software up to date
- Verify who you are dealing with
- Watch out for scams
Fraud cost Sutton residents collectively more than £4.6 million in 2020, an average of £3,800 per victim.
There has been a recent spike in theft of dogs.
- Make sure they are chipped and the information is kept up-to-date.
- Do not leave them unattended outside shops.
- Keep all important documentation, and have clear photos of them.